Skip to main content

“One measure of friendship consists not in the number of things friends can discuss, but in the number of things they need no longer mention.” -Clifton Fadiman

So I have been home for two weeks now. This past week, even though it has had some serious negative aspects, has been absolutely wonderful. I got the stomach flu on Tuesday/Wednesday which was just miserable. In addition to that, my hard drive randomly stopped working. I lost all of my data which stinks. I am now missing all of my pictures between 2009-present that aren't on Facebook.  Thankfully, a lot of the ones from 2010-2011 are on Facebook. 

Anyway, despite those two things, my week has been so magnificent! My best friend Marie was home from for a week. Marie goes to college in Minnesota and this summer she has an internship in Wisconsin.  Her parents are also moving to another city in Colorado which is two and a half hours away from me. So it was Marie's only week in Colorado and her only week actually being home.

So we had a TON of fun together.

Let me give you some background on Marie's and my friendship. Marie and I both have older brothers who are the same age. They were best friends (even though males supposedly don't have best friends) for years. Marie and I met occasionally when she would come with her mom to pick Ryan (her brother) up. In 8th grade was the first time Marie and I had some classes together. I recently found a journal entry from that time that reads something along the lines of "Marie is really sweet, a little weird, and just like me." It constantly amazes me how long it took us to become best friends.






This pictures is from 8th Grade. I am the bottom center and Marie is the middle right. 



When Marie and I went to All-State Choir in the February of 2010 is when our friendship truly began. All-State Choir bonded us together so quickly it was ridiculous. Once we got back we were instantly best friends. The rest of my senior year became the best year of my life and it was mainly because of her.




All-State Choir, February 2010


Choir Festival, April 2010

Senior Luncheon, April 2010


Prom, May 2010

Last day of school, May 2010

Graduation, May 2010

One of the last pictures we took together before going to college, August 2010.




 I left for college knowing that when I returned things wouldn't be the same with a lot of my friends. However, with Marie, things always were just the way they used to be. When I am with Marie I can just be my truest self. Elisabeth Foley once said, "The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart.” Marie is the epitome of this quote for me. In the past year we have both changed so much.  We have grown immensely. We have both been through some pretty tough situations over the past year. We had some rough points in our friendship but everything we went through only made our friendship stronger today. She knows absolutely everything about my life.

Having her here this past week has been a real eye-opener for me about how beautiful our friendship is. Sometimes when you reunite with a friend, no matter how close you are to them, it is just awkward. With Marie it felt like we had seen each other the previous day.  She is my best friend in the world. She is my only friend that I don't worry about growing apart from. I couldn't survive without her.

On Sunday I went to a ton of grad parties, one of them was with Marie. I actually went to five grad parties this year... I didn't go to any my senior year.  I'm not sure what that says about me. Anyway, we went to a grad party and had a marvelous time just being together again.

On Monday we had a super adventure. We woke up and went to get Einstien's Bagels. We would do that all the time last summer because I had work in the morning so she would get up and go get breakfast with me. Then we went and hiked Mt. Cutler Trail. Then we went to Helen Hunt Falls and had a picnic lunch. We also went to our favorite ice cream place downtown.  A few funny stories from the hiking adventure:
  • We asked a couple to take our picture at one point. They said that they would. The man had a bloody nose. He said, "I get a bloody nose whenever I exert myself." The wife kept saying things like, "Now girls, look at the camera not the nose." The husband kept saying, "Okay dear, that's enough." Hahaha. As we thanked them, the wife said farewell to us by telling us to "Watch the clouds." 
  • When we were having our picnic lunch at Helen Hunt Falls, a mother a father and their three-year old son were playing in the water. We don't know why but they chose to climb up the stream as opposed to going down to the place designed to put you at the base of waterfall but they did. They also carried their child and kept slipping all over the place! It was slightly frightening. Anyway, eventually they get to where we are and of course the little boy chooses to pee in the waterfall/stream thing. Crazy family. We got lunch and entertainment though!






    This is the picture the couple took.




    The shadow of the tree on my hair makes it look like there is a tarantula in my hair.

    Our matching tennis shoes and our picnic of peanut butter and peach jelly sandwiches, pineapple, strawberries, pretzels, water, and brownies.





One thing that was cool about going to Helen Hunt Falls was in August or July of 2010, Marie and I hiked Helen Hunt Falls. It was returning to a place we were at a year ago. I thought about how much has happened in the past year and how many things have changed in my life. I have to say the period of June 2010-now is probably the time that I have changed and grown the most in life.
 


Summer 2010

Summer 2011























Tuesday and Wednesday I was sick with the stomach flu. The worst part of it was just being robbed of my precious time with Marie. But such is life. Thursday Marie was up in Fort Collins looking at new houses with her parents. Friday we saw each other three separate times. Hahaha. We went to breakfast together and bought our friend Kyle a pineapple as a graduation gift. Then we went to Kyle's grad party together and then we went and visited our high school choir director. 
Kyle and Grant's grad party. :)


Later I went over to her house and we just did ridiculous things on her computer like the silly love letter generator. That was rather amusing. :) Marie's for me read, "Dearest darlingest Lindsey Williams, what human being would not appreciate your sparkling green eyes? They take the appearance of hypnotic jade stones glimmering in the sunlight. Of course they wouldn't be ACTUAL jade stones, because jade stones actually come from China and I'm not saying your eyes were manufactured in China because that would be silly. Yours forever and ever, Marie" Mine for Marie read, "Dearest darlingest Marie Bak, what’s really mystifying is your gorgeous blonde hair which is just as beautiful and radiant as golden heaps of straw (the only difference being that your hair cannot be eaten by horses or used to repair cottage roofs).Yours forever and ever, Lindsey"

Today we had a lot of fun as well. We built cardboard box boats and then went and sailed them at the duck pond. Mine didn't go very far because I made it a little too top-heavy. Lesson learned. Hahaha. So Marie won our sailing race. It was still super fun though.








Well, I suppose that's it for today. I'm going to miss Marie lots but we'll be together again in August and I know that it will be just like we saw each other yesterday.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story.” -Orson Welles

During freshman orientation, we had one ceremony called "Tradition of Honor." We sat outside the porch of Main Hall and took a pledge to honor. All of the orientation leaders said it was so significant because you started your time outside of Main Hall and you would end your time outside of Main Hall with graduation. On that day, I pictured myself graduating and getting my diploma. I never thought I would transfer. Well, this is it...my last day in Virginia. I've been trying to decide what to write my last blog on for my Virginia experience. I could go on forever about my countless experiences. I could talk about the fact that finals were insanely crazy. I could talk about some adventures I've had over the past few days. But, none of those represent what Virginia was for me. Virginia was the opportunity to meet wonderful people. The people at  the school makes it great. My heart is just so full of gratitude for all of the people I have been so honored to meet. S

"Each of our temples is an expression of our testimony that life beyond the grave is as real and as certain as is our life here on earth." -President Thomas S. Monson

I've enjoyed my time in Utah this week. My favorite day was Thursday by far. I went to lunch with my cousin Ashley. I am so excited to live in the same city as her. She is just great. Later that day, I went up to Temple Square with my friend Jordan. The temple is just such a beautiful sight; I absolutely love it.  The beauty of the exterior of temples just parallels the astounding beauty of all of the covenants that are made within its walls and the beauty of the spirit that is there. All around the temple grounds there were tulips. And in case you haven't been blog stalking me, I love flowers especially tulips. Jordan kept making fun of me because I would stop every five feet to take another picture.... hahaha. So enjoy! I highly enjoy this bird's feather... 30 Rock anyone?

How President Nelson Exemplified the Day of Miracles Has Not Ceased

During the Sunday Morning Session, Elder Donald L. Hallstrom, General Authority Seventy, echoed the question Moroni posed, “Has the day of miracles ceased?” He then affirmed with his words that God still performs miracles. Then, President Russell M. Nelson, president of the Quorum of the Twelve, affirmed it with his actions. As soon as the closing prayer’s “amen” was uttered, President Nelson broke tradition. Instead of waiting for President Henry B. Eyring, first counselor in the First Presidency, to come shake his hand, President Nelson met him halfway, right behind the podium (see above screenshot). He whispered something in President Eyring’s ear, and then the camera cut away. I can’t tell you exactly what happened next. But here’s what I assume. I assume the conversation between the two included President Nelson telling President Eyring that he needed to visit his quorum member, Elder Robert D. Hales.  He then left the Conference Center and headed straight to