Skip to main content

Thank you, 2016.

I can't seem to find the resolutions I set in 2016 anywhere. I've searched every journal, every note in my phone and every email to missionaries. So my first resolution for 2017 — keep track of where I write down my resolutions.

I'm resurrecting my old blog because I wanted a venue to bid goodbye to 2016. 

This year has been unlike any other year in my life. I never realized how grounding it is to have a life plan. I defined my life plan through my youth — preschool, elementary school, middle school, high school, college, mission, finish college. 

And this year I no longer had that plan. In December 2015 I left Brigham Young University with my bachelor's degree in-hand (well, in the mail) and embarked on a new adventure, beginning my career as a journalist.

I started the year out in Salt Lake City. An internship with Deseret News bursted my Provo bubble and I headed 45 miles to the north. It turned out to be one of the best decisions I could have made. My path led me to a team with two of the most marvelous individuals I've ever worked with. Emily and Morgan exemplified the career goals I hadn't yet discovered for myself. I envied Emily's talents with writing and Morgan painted a picture of passion when it came to her work that I wanted to pursue for myself. 

Outside of my internship the trail of life took me to these two homies. Chantel, Kelcy and I bonded over Criminal Minds, $5 Tuesdays at the Cinemark and gallons of cookie dough. Chantel understood the transition to adulthood and constantly supported me and Kelcy gave us plenty of reasons to laugh. 
 

In March this little angel came into my life. Aunt is one of my favorite titles, especially when I have a niece as adorable as Mikaya. 
Just over 250 bylines later, my internship came to a close and I faced a fork in the road. I spent a few days in Arches National Park trying to decide what to do. Amidst all of my decision-making, we took plenty of selfies. 
Eventually I decided to return down south and start a new journey with Utah Valley Magazine. So I packed up my bed and my bookshelf (still working on expanding my furniture collection) and returned to my home away from home, Utah Valley.
Working at Utah Valley Magazine is fulfilling a dream I forgot I had. I found an old journal during my first month at the magazine. I listed my dream job as a magazine writer. Not only am I living the dream job, I'm surrounded by dream people. Every day I get to work with people who inspire me in different ways and I feel so blessed. 

The highlight of my year though is a moment that I will never forget. Returning to Riverside for the sealing of the Cuniche family was incredible. This family is an example to me of overcoming trials, trusting in God and living with faith. Many tears were shed in the sealing room of the Redlands Temple and the joy I felt might rival the joy I feel on my wedding day (TBD).
 

The other highlight of the year was being reunited with my sister. Adding to the list of why we are often mistaken for twins is now we both speak Spanish learned during Southern California Missions. 


2016 has been full of change as I've tried to figure out my path in life. There are many people who have guided me through the transition who I feel incredibly blessed to have in my life. Chances are if you took the time to read this to this point, you're one of them. So thank you. 

This year I've learned the importance of following God's will.  I experienced the dissonance when I went against it and felt the pure harmony of aligning my will with His. 

I am excited for 2017. I'm ready for new adventures, new growing experiences and more chances to become like Christ. I bid this year farewell with a quote from my favorite talk I read in 2016, "Be Renewed in the Spirit of your Mind," by Sister Patricia Holland. 

"As Paul sad in another setting, 'Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new' (2 Corinthians 5:17). Welcome to a new year and what can be literally a new life in Christ, where all things become new and old things pass away."

Welcome 2017!


Vocal Point + Shayla = Awesomeness
A few other 2016 highlights:




















The first Williams Family picture with eight members

Added Zion's to my list of National Parks. 
Waterfalls are meant to be played in.
When you crop a pic for Instagram to make the scenery prettier. 
The one session I didn't work this year.
Mariah is joy.
Seeing Hannah sing is always a thrill. 
The engaged Katie!
Some things never change.

Grateful that goodbyes don't last forever. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Each of our temples is an expression of our testimony that life beyond the grave is as real and as certain as is our life here on earth." -President Thomas S. Monson

I've enjoyed my time in Utah this week. My favorite day was Thursday by far. I went to lunch with my cousin Ashley. I am so excited to live in the same city as her. She is just great. Later that day, I went up to Temple Square with my friend Jordan. The temple is just such a beautiful sight; I absolutely love it.  The beauty of the exterior of temples just parallels the astounding beauty of all of the covenants that are made within its walls and the beauty of the spirit that is there. All around the temple grounds there were tulips. And in case you haven't been blog stalking me, I love flowers especially tulips. Jordan kept making fun of me because I would stop every five feet to take another picture.... hahaha. So enjoy! I highly enjoy this bird's feather... 30 Rock anyone?

“If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story.” -Orson Welles

During freshman orientation, we had one ceremony called "Tradition of Honor." We sat outside the porch of Main Hall and took a pledge to honor. All of the orientation leaders said it was so significant because you started your time outside of Main Hall and you would end your time outside of Main Hall with graduation. On that day, I pictured myself graduating and getting my diploma. I never thought I would transfer. Well, this is it...my last day in Virginia. I've been trying to decide what to write my last blog on for my Virginia experience. I could go on forever about my countless experiences. I could talk about the fact that finals were insanely crazy. I could talk about some adventures I've had over the past few days. But, none of those represent what Virginia was for me. Virginia was the opportunity to meet wonderful people. The people at  the school makes it great. My heart is just so full of gratitude for all of the people I have been so honored to meet. S

How President Nelson Exemplified the Day of Miracles Has Not Ceased

During the Sunday Morning Session, Elder Donald L. Hallstrom, General Authority Seventy, echoed the question Moroni posed, “Has the day of miracles ceased?” He then affirmed with his words that God still performs miracles. Then, President Russell M. Nelson, president of the Quorum of the Twelve, affirmed it with his actions. As soon as the closing prayer’s “amen” was uttered, President Nelson broke tradition. Instead of waiting for President Henry B. Eyring, first counselor in the First Presidency, to come shake his hand, President Nelson met him halfway, right behind the podium (see above screenshot). He whispered something in President Eyring’s ear, and then the camera cut away. I can’t tell you exactly what happened next. But here’s what I assume. I assume the conversation between the two included President Nelson telling President Eyring that he needed to visit his quorum member, Elder Robert D. Hales.  He then left the Conference Center and headed straight to