Skip to main content

One year down

Last year ago today I moved into my new apartment. That's such a crazy thought. The past year has definitely been an exciting one.

It all started out last summer. I don't think anything can even hold a candle to how amazing last summer was. Almost everyone that I was close with last summer were people who were brand new to my life. There have been two times in my life that I have had this totally new start in a city where you basically know no one. The first was when I went to Virginia. The second was last summer. In a lot of ways, both of these experiences have provided a marvelous opportunity--an opportunity to be whoever I wanted to be. Anyway, the summer was amazing. Full of new friends and really fun times.

Then fall semester began. In the distance, there was the looming threat of my application to the journalism major. One of the major components of the application was my grades in three of my classes. It was definitely intimidating to think about. But, fall semester went by quicker than I thought it would. A few highlights:

  • Perhaps one of the most exciting things about fall semester was having roommates again. Over the summer Kelli was home in Colorado and my other roommate was engaged and working two jobs so I rarely saw her. When fall semester started I had the treat of having two amazing roommates: Kelli and Shayla. I knew I was in for a good year when one of the first things I did together with Kelli was have a funeral for a dead fish. That's what this picture is from. :) 
  • One night we had a game night at our apartment. It was still warm and we decided we wanted to play Ultimate Spoons. But then we decided to make it a little more intense so we went over to the pool next door and played Ultimate Spoons in a swimming pool. It was ridiculously fun!

  • One of the most exciting moments was when Abby and I went to a soccer game together and we just so happened to run into the cast of Kid History! It was basically the best thing ever.
  • Another awesome moment was October General Conference. I think I had about 10 people over at my apartment when they announced the Provo Tabernacle Temple. We were all so excited about it!
  • General Conference was also awesome because Wendy came out to visit. Greg, Kelli and I took her up to temple square for General Conference. We didn't have tickets but it was a beautiful day so we just sat on the lawn and listened.
  • Greg getting his mission call! I was so excited because I was able to be with Greg when he opened the call. He is currently serving in the Japan Kobe Mission. I miss him lots.
Then came Winter Semester. My journalism application was due in January which really made me nervous. My classes required more work than the previous semester which was okay but I stayed pretty busy. I did get into the Journalism major and I also have added a History and a Family Life Minor. :) But, amongst the business I still found time to have a little bit of fun. :)
  • One of the defining characteristics of this roommate was really getting close to both of my roommates. They are both so lovely and I basically adore them. Another event from this semester was the decision I made to move out of my current ward and into an apartment south of campus. Sadly, this means I'll be leaving these two beautiful ladies. :( But I'm totally going to stay close with them.
  • Gina is basically amazing and got us some awesome conference tickets. We were so close! It was my first time actually attending conference which was really exciting. :)
  • I think the thing that I enjoyed most of this semester was temple trips. I made a goal to do 100 baptisms by the end of the year. Currently I'm already up to 70 something. I'm kind of excited about it. :)
School ended and I spent the last two months working for my aunt and traveling. :) I went to California with my grandparents and my Aunt, came home to surprise my Mom for Mother's Day, went to St. George with Gina and went down a zipline!, went to Park City with my old roommate Avy, went to St. George again with Wendy and met my Dad down there, and now I'm currently in Colorado. I've seriously not been at my apartment for two weeks straight for a really long time. I'm looking forward to being at my apartment more this summer.

So, as you can hopefully tell, I've had a really good year. I've learned a lot too, both inside and outside of school.

One quote I've grown to love more and more each and every day is this one:
"All of us.. when we think we are talking most intimately to someone else, are actually addressing an image we have of the person to whom we believe we speak." -Gene Wolfe
Think about this quote for a little bit. I dare you. I've been taking this quote and applying it to my life a little bit. I think as humans we all have times where we get annoyed with someone. Have you ever noticed how when you are annoyed with someone suddenly anything they do immediately bothers you? That's because that's their image currently in your mind. The power of what you think of someone can really alter your relationship with them.

I think I'll leave it at that for today. :) I'm seriously going to be better at posting on this blog though, and I'm serious this time. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Each of our temples is an expression of our testimony that life beyond the grave is as real and as certain as is our life here on earth." -President Thomas S. Monson

I've enjoyed my time in Utah this week. My favorite day was Thursday by far. I went to lunch with my cousin Ashley. I am so excited to live in the same city as her. She is just great. Later that day, I went up to Temple Square with my friend Jordan. The temple is just such a beautiful sight; I absolutely love it.  The beauty of the exterior of temples just parallels the astounding beauty of all of the covenants that are made within its walls and the beauty of the spirit that is there. All around the temple grounds there were tulips. And in case you haven't been blog stalking me, I love flowers especially tulips. Jordan kept making fun of me because I would stop every five feet to take another picture.... hahaha. So enjoy! I highly enjoy this bird's feather... 30 Rock anyone?

“If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story.” -Orson Welles

During freshman orientation, we had one ceremony called "Tradition of Honor." We sat outside the porch of Main Hall and took a pledge to honor. All of the orientation leaders said it was so significant because you started your time outside of Main Hall and you would end your time outside of Main Hall with graduation. On that day, I pictured myself graduating and getting my diploma. I never thought I would transfer. Well, this is it...my last day in Virginia. I've been trying to decide what to write my last blog on for my Virginia experience. I could go on forever about my countless experiences. I could talk about the fact that finals were insanely crazy. I could talk about some adventures I've had over the past few days. But, none of those represent what Virginia was for me. Virginia was the opportunity to meet wonderful people. The people at  the school makes it great. My heart is just so full of gratitude for all of the people I have been so honored to meet. S

How President Nelson Exemplified the Day of Miracles Has Not Ceased

During the Sunday Morning Session, Elder Donald L. Hallstrom, General Authority Seventy, echoed the question Moroni posed, “Has the day of miracles ceased?” He then affirmed with his words that God still performs miracles. Then, President Russell M. Nelson, president of the Quorum of the Twelve, affirmed it with his actions. As soon as the closing prayer’s “amen” was uttered, President Nelson broke tradition. Instead of waiting for President Henry B. Eyring, first counselor in the First Presidency, to come shake his hand, President Nelson met him halfway, right behind the podium (see above screenshot). He whispered something in President Eyring’s ear, and then the camera cut away. I can’t tell you exactly what happened next. But here’s what I assume. I assume the conversation between the two included President Nelson telling President Eyring that he needed to visit his quorum member, Elder Robert D. Hales.  He then left the Conference Center and headed straight to