Skip to main content

I Have No Friends

   "No friends. No friends. I have no friends."
   These are the lyrics to one of the masterpieces written by my brother, Alaric. We were in high school. He invited his friends to come over that night and every single one of them was late. Even though it led to a depressing song, I was grateful because we laughed for hours about it. In fact, Alaric and I still smile when we think of that song. 
   That memory always brings a dose of sunshine to the moments I feel like I have no friends (yep, I have those some times). It makes me smile when I've moved to a new place and I have no one to sit with at church. Or when I have no plans on a Friday night. 
   Maybe I'm just crazy but I think other people have those moments they feel friendless. 
   Recently though I realized my problem is I don't necessarily feel friendless — I feel like I'm not measuring up to the number of friends I should have or the number of new friends I should be making.
   Earlier this week I had an experience that changed my perspective. My brother, Sean, asked me to edit a eulogy he was going to give at the funeral of one of his best friends. 
   As I read these words, truth entered my soul.
   "Karina was a very special friend to me, the type that only comes around a handful of times in a lifetime. As I’ve been thinking about it, the fact that friends as amazing as Karina are so rare is probably by design. You don’t need many friends like that when you can savor such a rich friendship."
   You don't need many friends like that when you can savor such a rich friendship.
   Wow.
   This caused me to pause. I looked back on every time I had sung Alaric's "No Friends" jingle and realized I had measured my success in the world of friends the wrong way all along.
   See, I feel like I have friends when I have plans every night in a week. I feel like I have friends when I host a party and have more people than can fit in my living room — even if I don't know half of them. I feel like I have friends when I have more text messages than I can respond to.
   Man, was I wrong.
   I've measured friends in quantity instead of in quality. 
   I literally have the best friends.
   Seriously though. There are over a dozen people in my life that I say label "one of my best friends."
   I'm so blessed with rich friendships. 
   So when I get discouraged that I'm not making new friends, I can't help but think it's because of the incredible standard created by the people in my life. 
  I'm lucky.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Each of our temples is an expression of our testimony that life beyond the grave is as real and as certain as is our life here on earth." -President Thomas S. Monson

I've enjoyed my time in Utah this week. My favorite day was Thursday by far. I went to lunch with my cousin Ashley. I am so excited to live in the same city as her. She is just great. Later that day, I went up to Temple Square with my friend Jordan. The temple is just such a beautiful sight; I absolutely love it.  The beauty of the exterior of temples just parallels the astounding beauty of all of the covenants that are made within its walls and the beauty of the spirit that is there. All around the temple grounds there were tulips. And in case you haven't been blog stalking me, I love flowers especially tulips. Jordan kept making fun of me because I would stop every five feet to take another picture.... hahaha. So enjoy! I highly enjoy this bird's feather... 30 Rock anyone?

“If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story.” -Orson Welles

During freshman orientation, we had one ceremony called "Tradition of Honor." We sat outside the porch of Main Hall and took a pledge to honor. All of the orientation leaders said it was so significant because you started your time outside of Main Hall and you would end your time outside of Main Hall with graduation. On that day, I pictured myself graduating and getting my diploma. I never thought I would transfer. Well, this is it...my last day in Virginia. I've been trying to decide what to write my last blog on for my Virginia experience. I could go on forever about my countless experiences. I could talk about the fact that finals were insanely crazy. I could talk about some adventures I've had over the past few days. But, none of those represent what Virginia was for me. Virginia was the opportunity to meet wonderful people. The people at  the school makes it great. My heart is just so full of gratitude for all of the people I have been so honored to meet. S

How President Nelson Exemplified the Day of Miracles Has Not Ceased

During the Sunday Morning Session, Elder Donald L. Hallstrom, General Authority Seventy, echoed the question Moroni posed, “Has the day of miracles ceased?” He then affirmed with his words that God still performs miracles. Then, President Russell M. Nelson, president of the Quorum of the Twelve, affirmed it with his actions. As soon as the closing prayer’s “amen” was uttered, President Nelson broke tradition. Instead of waiting for President Henry B. Eyring, first counselor in the First Presidency, to come shake his hand, President Nelson met him halfway, right behind the podium (see above screenshot). He whispered something in President Eyring’s ear, and then the camera cut away. I can’t tell you exactly what happened next. But here’s what I assume. I assume the conversation between the two included President Nelson telling President Eyring that he needed to visit his quorum member, Elder Robert D. Hales.  He then left the Conference Center and headed straight to